I don’t know about you but I am afraid of statues. Seriously, big humanoid statues creep me out. Sure, I wouldn’t be scared of an enormous statue of Hello Kitty, but when it looks like a human, it definitely scares me. Those are perhaps some childhood issues that went unresolved. Anyway, here are some of the world’s biggest statues.
1. Spring Temple Buddha - This one is actually the biggest statue in the world and it’s about 153 meters. It’s located in
. You have to climb 365 stairs to reach it, representing the days in a year. The road is also divided into 12 parts. The plans for this statue were announced soon after the blowing up of the Bamiyan Buddhas by the Taliban in Lushan County, Henan, China Afghanistan, an act condemned by . China
2. Laykyun Setkyar is the second tallest statue in the world. It has 116 meters and it’s located in the
village of Khatakan Taung, near . It even has its own facebook page. LoL Monywa, Myanmar
This very colorful statue (statues?) was completed on February 21, 2008.
|This one has a backdoor...literally...|
3. Ushiku Daibutsu located in Ushiku, Ibaraki Prefecture, Japan has 120 meters and it contains a nice museum inside. It was built to commemorate the birth of Shinran (a Japanese Buddhist monk ), founder of the True Pure Land School of Buddhism or Jōdo Shinshū, the most widely practiced branch of Buddhism in
4. Nanshan Haishang Guanyin and Emperors Yan and Huang (yes, there are two statues on the 4th place, I don’t find it fair for the other statues to let
take all the places) China
Guan Yin of the South Sea of Sanya is another statue from
(they definitely love making statues apparently). This statue represents Avalokiteśvara, which is a bodhisattva that embodies the compassion of all Buddhas. It is 108 meters high and it took 6 years to build. It is situated in the province China . Hainan, China
Emperors Yan and Huang statues are 106 meters high and they depict the Chinese emperors, Yan Di and Huag Di. Their construction laster 20 years and the statues are located in
Zhengzhou, Henan province, People’s Republic of . China
5. Sendai Daikannon is on 5th place. It has 100 meters and depicts the the Japanese Buddhist Bodhisattva Kannon.
is on the 6th place with the Guishan Guanyin of the Thousand Hands and Eyes, made out of bronze, 99 meters high. Located in Weishan, China Changsha, Hunan, People's Republic of . China
People find this statue ugly but I think is nice, a little big but nice. It was voted the tenth ugliest building in the world by Virtual Tourist and it was included on the world’s ugliest statues by Foreign Policy. It’s made of bronze, steel and cooper and it’s about 98 meters high.
I still can’t find something wrong with this statue; yeah, it’s big but it’s quite impressive and nice. Well, perhaps the color is not that amazing.
8. Great Buddha of Thailand – yep, another Buddha, but this one comes from
. A 92 meters high and 63 meters wide, this statue is the tallest in Thailand and the ninth tallest in the world. Thailand
Again, we have
China with another impressive statue of Buddha, which is located in Wuxi, Jiangsu Province, People's Republic of . China
It is 88 meters high and it’s made of bronze.
10. Kannon in Ashibetsu in
is the last one in the first part of my article. This beautiful white statue symbolizes the Buddhist deity Kannon. We talked about Kannon it’s the same as the one on entry 5. Japan
Kannon is a bodhisattva that is associated with compassion and it’s also known as Guanyin.
All photos taken from wikipedia.org unless specified otherwise.